Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Wayfaring Stranger


1) I'm just a poor wayfarin' stranger,
While travelin' through this world below.
Yet there's no sickness, no toil, nor danger,
In that bright land to which I go.
I'm goin' there to see my Father.
And all my loved ones who've gone on.
I'm just goin' over Jordan.
I'm just goin' over home.

2) I know dark clouds will gather 'round me,
I know my way is hard and steep.
But beauteous fields arise before me,
Where God's redeemed, their vigils keep.
I'm goin' there to see my Mother.
She said she'd meet me when I come.
So, I'm just goin' over Jordan
I'm just goin' over home.

3) I'll soon be free from every trial
This form shall rest beneath the sod.
I'll drop the cross of self-denial,
And enter in that home with God
I'm going home to see my Savior
Who spilled his precious blood for me.
I'm just goin' over Jordan
I'm just goin' over home.

This is a folk song from the 19th century. Many folks have recorded it and is probably most associated with Burl Ive's. I used Jack White's cover because it is the one that I'm most familiar with and I think he does an excellent job of capturing the tone of the lyrics. One of the many reasons I enjoy folk songs and bluegrass type music is that they tell stories. Most current pop and much of the current worship music is designed around a hook. It's catchy in order to be catchy. A lot of today's music miss that story telling aspect which, from reading his interviews and listening to his music, Jack White embraces.

There is a stanza missing from White's version that reads, "I want to wear a crown of glory/ when I get home to that good land / I want to shout salvation's story / In concert with the blood-washed band." There are many times in which we simply trudge through life. Trials and suffering seem without end. We become stranger not only to those around us, but to ourselves as well. It is tough. But the Lord never forgets who we are and He welcomes us with open arms when our journey comes to an end. That, is a glorious day.

No comments:

Post a Comment